History of Sydney Central

Official Opening of the AGL Haymarket Office 14 December 1922um

History of Sydney Central

The Sydney Central site dates back to 1850 when a Presbyterian manse was constructed on the corner of Pitt and Hay Streets. In 1857 Sydney’s first fire station was built fronting on to Pitt Street and a later addition in 1922 was the AGL building that was the company’s original showroom featuring a domed ceiling and classical columns.

In 1991 the site was developed by the Federal Government with the addition of the office tower and retail areas. The three heritage buildings were incorporated into the design of the overall complex, blending old and new at the one address.